Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

January 5, 2015

Trash Can Hawk Final Update

2014 was coming to a close. It had been a roller coaster of a year which I will lightly touch upon soon in a "year in review". I know I did a massive year in review for 2013 which took me weeks to do but for 2014 I intend on something not so in depth.

I had been inquiring about the Red-tailed Hawk approximately every 2 weeks since I brought her into Toronto Wildlife and the updates from the girls at the centre were great, no promises of what the outcome would be, but every bit was positive and they kept the hope up for this big girl.

Angie and I awoke on December 30th to our furnace acting up. Our unit is in/around 15 years and the last 3 years have had Direct Energy on us about replacing it. Yes, one day, especially since it's a mid-efficiency furnace and the gov't has outlawed these things but who has $4,000 laying around to drop just like that? With the fear of needing a new furnace ASAP had me thinking "dammit, the year is gonna end on a low like this?!?!" Hard to keep positive when it's -9c and there's cold air blowing through the vents.

A service rep was to arrive somewhere between the hours of 8am and noon. Great! Mess up my whole morning before work, waiting and wondering, worrying about our Budgies getting a chill.

The guy arrives and I leave him be downstairs to hopefully find the problem and repair it.

The phone rings and it's someone named Stacy from Toronto Wildlife. She introduced herself and apologized for the short notice but wanted to let me know they were releasing that Red-tail in about 45 mins near the area where she was picked up. I was happy to hear about the release but with such short notice and the issue at home, I had to thank her for the call with the invite to join them and unfortunately decline. I couldn't just take off while this was going on at home. It was agreed that we both should hang around and wait for the outcome with the furnace in case it was something serious. I was kinda crushed about turning down the opportunity to join them.

See, I've brought in or been closely involved in bringing about a dozen creatures in need to TWC over the last 6 years or so. Out of those dozen, only one ever saw freedom again. I was starting to feel like the Grim Reaper driving the black truck of death with any wildlife I had something to do with going in. I am well aware that even those who were put to sleep was a much better ending than suffering any longer out in the wild. I get that, but it still sucks. So now, finally there was another one getting a second chance, and I couldn't go.

I went back to getting lost in my mess of a closet, packing summer clothes, tossing this and that, getting other stuff for Goodwill. I wanted to be alone and try not to sulk too much about this.

Angie came in and talked to me. She told me to call TWC back and get up there for the release. I refused over and over despite her attempts to convince me it was okay to leave. She gave up and went back to whatever she was doing. Minutes go by, more clothes sorting, more humming and hawing, when suddenly I hear the service guy coming through the living room. It turned out to be a dusty sensor inside, so the furnace wasn't igniting like it should when it turned on. Both of us were relieved we weren't going to have to go shopping for a new unit just yet. I looked at the clock and wasn't sure I had the time left to meet them for the release but called in anyway. I swear it was like the clouds lifted, the rays of the sun shined down on me and all was good with the world again. There was plenty of time to still come for the release. I got dressed, got my camera and out the door I went. Here it is January 4th and all those clothes I was sorting are still in a huge pile on the floor. Shame on me. LoL!

Thank goodness for so many people having the week of New Years off from work as the traffic was light. I got to TWC in record time. I met Andrew and Stacy outside the building, they were in the van waiting for me, and Andrew said to just follow them. He gave me insight on where they were going in case we got separated.

We get there and I am super thrilled. I haven't spoken with Andrew in almost 3 years. He helped me with a Great Horned Owl in Lambton Woods. I read and hear about all the amazing things he does for wildlife in our city with his rescues. I admire him, and all the TWC staff a lot.

There was the formal introduction and Andrew brought up remembering me from our Owl adventure. We had a re-cap of the Red-tail's story to which I added my bit about how she was picked up in this area and then driven with a construction crew to Richmond Hill, where I picked her up and brought her back to TWC. I made mention about my feeling like the Grim Reaper and they got a chuckle out of it, knowing I was being comical. I also told him and Stacy that this was going to be my 50th release in the short time I've been signed on as a volunteer driver. It was an amazing milestone release with how this all played out. From there we went to the spot for release and he explained to me in detail about what they were doing, what to do if this or that were to happen, how I could stand anywhere providing I was behind Stacy and the bird, etc. I thought it was really cool how good and informative they were with me through this. I did not feel like an outsider by any means.

Below is a bunch of photos of the release. I told them I like to try for pictures, nothing will compare to what is in my mind but even the crappiest grainy images will take me back to this wonderful moment. The knowing this bird is healthy and free once again is what matters most. It's a privilege I am here to witness her go home.

Stacy slowly opening the box...

Out hops the Red-tail...

The Hawk stood on the other side of the box for a few moments...

And away she went...

Getting some air...

Higher...

And higher...

I thought she was flying as far away from us as possible now...

But then she does a turn...

She's coming around...

And we are getting real good looks at her now...
 She was over the road now...

And decided to land on one of the hydro poles not too far from us...

We stood and watched her for a number of minutes to see if she would fly again, but she was content on staying there...

So we left her be.  I silently wished her a good long healthy life.

I once again thanked Andrew and Stacy for this. They thanked me for all I've done. That part gets me (in a good way) as it reminds me of the police officer who thanked me for doing the Peregrine Falcon fledge watch. A little more chit chat about this that and the other. I wished them a "Happy New Year". And then we went our separate ways.

I had one of them ear to ear grins on the ride home. What a fantastic experience and how awesome of an end to 2014. Sure there was 36 hours left in the year but this certainly was putting a high note on the final hours.

I get home, tell Angie all about it. I told some of my close bird friends too throughout the afternoon. But left the majority, especially those on social media guessing for a few days. My post to them was a camera phone shot of the back of the TWC van on Keele Street and said I was on a special journey with them.

When I finally shared a picture of the released Hawk, giving a little reminder on her story and now the outcome, everyone rejoiced. There's been a lot of people behind this bird since she was admitted. I do my best to remind people that these places rely heavily on volunteers and even more so on donations (no amount is too small).

Anyways, thanks to everyone who has been following her story and sending out the healing vibes! Cheers!

No comments: