Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

July 21, 2014

Happy Anniversary Pierre!


Wow! I can't believe it's been 2 years since he first showed up in the backyard. We've had a lot of moments out back, mostly good, some better than others and he's had the charm of also coming in a few times when I really needed him. A friend, just enjoying some comfortable silence, helping me forget or get through something else.

He's touched the hearts of many just through the stories, photos and videos I share... and only a select few have had the pleasure of meeting him.

I have no idea Pierre's age, take the 2 years and add at least another year on top of that. Research shows that the average life span of a wild Pigeon in the city is 3 to 5 years due to predators and disease. But can live up to 15 years in captivity. I enjoy every day we have together and hope for many more. People often say I should catch him and keep him. As much as I would like that, I know he wouldn't be happy. He's a wild and free bird, containing him would not be fair, even if he is then protected from predators and he'd be well fed.

I know we've made a difference in his life and I am happy about that.

So, if you have a moment and never saw these other blogs or would like to re-visit the adventures, check them out here...
The weekend he first arrived is here. Here is a funny morning I had with him, his old mate Maggie and an aggressive male that came on scene. Or how about the day Global News came to visit the backyard birds and Pierre made a grand appearance in the last minutes of their stay, see here.

I take a lot of photos of my little buddy, even trying to get me in the pic with him. The whole idea of taking selfies as they call it is widespread and popular these days, but with us, I just like to capture "our moments" and show people what a personable bird he is. Of course, if someone else can point a camera at us, it's even better.

Our friend Patty got to meet Pierre in the summer of 2013 when we had her over for the afternoon.


Or this one, Angie took from the back door. It was January 2nd of this year. Pierre had disappeared for almost 2 weeks after the ice storm in December. I worried over him and then he finally came to us.


I know the day will come when he won't come around anymore. I just hope it's not for a long time yet.

It's great to be able to distinguish some of our backyard creatures and have something to share about them with others, especially when they mingle with us like Pierre. He chose us on this day back in 2012. We were having our morning coffee when we watched him walk the length of the yard, hop up the deck stairs, circle us and then jump into our laps. I'm not sure who he went to first, but it doesn't matter, he said "hello" to both of us that day and we've enjoyed his visits ever since. I tell ya, no human can come into our backyard without any notice, but all the wildlife sure can.

Raise your glass to Pierre today if you happen to catch this blog!

Cheers!

No comments: