Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!  I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season, no matter what/how/where and with who you celebrated the last few weeks.

I love the holidays but really am glad it's over and things can go back to normal.  You know, routines are back in order, the deadly sin "Gluttony" has left the house and it's time to start saving again, clearing up some Christmas bills, and get back to birding and wildlife watching.

Some people do not fully understand why I enjoy it.  I do love to take pictures of what I see out there, it allows me to take home a memory from that outing.  And if it's something really nice, I may develop it, frame it, place it in a photo album, or set it aside for next year's calendar that Angie and I put together for ourselves and a few family/friends.  Another reason is just to show people what is out there if one opens their eyes/ears and keeps their mouth if they chose to go for a walk in a more natural setting than just around the block.  Hey, I am promoting physical activity if one takes an interest in following my steps!  And a walk in the woods can be far more interesting if a person begins to take notice of all the different birds, animals, insects and plants around them whether they walk alone or with someone else.  I'd like to think that the photos I share may also bring awareness in a positive way to the wild world around us.  Some are in disbelief of what I see that is just out our back doors.

Angie called this "our yoga" quite some time ago.  And I've always agreed.  And I've shared this idea with others who much like me, enjoy the outdoors and always carry a camera with them.  Make it about a nice walk away from civilization, being around our wild friends, forgetting work, life's drama and you will come home from it a much more relaxed happier person.  And some have listened to this, so they tell me.  That's great!

I've gotten to know some great people over the last few years who share these interests with me and have the same idea of just enjoying whatever the dirt path takes us to.  While I do enjoy many of my walks alone, the company is great too.  I love the adventure of exploring as I walk and having an extra set of eyes at times is even better.  Of course Angie is my favorite counter-part on these walks but making new friends through this has been amazing.  Being 42, taking care of oneself is even more important now...  both physically and mentally.

Anyways, enjoy a few photos of recent sightings below here.  More to come. 

Happy trails!

A long-eared Owl.  Probably the most skittish species of Owl that I know of.
 A Raccoon sleeping in a tree cavity that might just be a tad too small for him.
 A Red-tailed Hawk along a side road.
 A Northern Pintail Duck.  He's a beauty!
 Always a treat to cross paths with White-tailed Deer.
 The same Hawk from above.  Big beautiful birds of prey.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Nice Owl capture.

Angie in T.O. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie in T.O. said...

Looking forward to another year of birding with you...wonder what excitement and Lifers will happen this year. :)

paul neale said...

Great shots, would like to see just one Owl a year.

Paul Neale
PEN Productions