Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

August 25, 2011

M6n Moment August 25, 2011

Working on some stories but for the moment I thought I would share something from today, and in future with such special sightings I will title the blog the same...

Today I spotted at least 7 Baltimore Orioles in the backyard!  There might even have been 8.  August is coming to an end, and I know the Orioles are preparing for fall migration.  It makes me sad to see them go but it also gives me something to look forward to next year as Spring arrives and once again so do they.

Other species visiting today include Black-capped Chickadees, Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, House Sparrows and American Goldfinches.  Oh, and of course, the Rock Dove, more known as Pigeon.  Ring-billed Gulls and a Killdeer were seen flying overhead.

I am curious where the Mourning Doves and House Finches are of late?  It's been some time since I recall seeing either.  Hmmmmmm?

Here are a few pics from the yard this week...  thanks for looking, see you again soon!

A male adult Baltimore Oriole.  Two for certain have been visiting this summer.

The Black-capped Chickadees have been making more frequent visits as August moves along.  The little guys are starting to flock for the coming cold months.
 An adult male Northern Cardinal who frequents the feeders daily.
An adult male Hairy Woodpecker who has trained me in giving him shelled peanuts in the same spot whenever he announces his arrival to the backyard.  Did you really think I trained him?  C'mon!
Another Baltimore Oriole.  I am guessing a young male.  Four of them were poking their heads out of the cedars this morning.  Also know at least two females visit.  So yes, we are now up to 8 Orioles this August.  Last August our record was 5.

Perhaps not the most exciting blog from me but if not anything else, it lets you all know I am still around.

1 comment:

socurly said...

Hi rob, the animals in the yard have trained us! The squirrels actually tap our door and window for peanuts. Some birds wait at the door as well. Even my friends, sister and parents are trained to hand out peanuts.