Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

June 17, 2009

Bye Bye Birdy-s!"



I can't believe it! After weeks of excitement and anticipation with this pair of nesting Black Capped Chickadees and knowing their babies hatched AND us waiting to see the whole family at some point...

we go away for an over-night, leaving around 10:30am Sunday morning and returning around 6pm Monday, everybody got up and left the nest in that span of time.

I so wish we saw something, anything, but it was not to be.

I am thankful for what I witnessed over the weeks from watching the parents choose this nest box, to building the nest by bringing bits of twigs, grass bits and whatever else to it, from the long silent wait to the increasing noises of the babies and watching the parents bring the constant flow of food for their young. It was more than I had ever witnessed before so that alone was an experience.

We felt a moment of worry when we did not see the parents upon our arrival home, another moment of worry with not hearing the babies within. The mind wandered with some crazy thoughts and I even looked about the property for any casualties but none were to be found. Our best guess is they fledged and moved off to the woods close by to join the other Chickadee families with the abundance of natural food sources.

I'd like to think that another pair will return next spring; and maybe we will be fortunate enough to see the babies emerge?

I must add, as you can see from the photos, is that I just had to open up the nest box the following day. I had to see what was within. I was impressed at the neat little, well packed nest. I was unsure what to think of the two eggs still laying there... infertile.

I wonder how many they had?

So, as the title says "Bye Bye Birdy-s!" Hope to see you next spring!




One of my favorite photos I got of the Daddy Chickadee.


Momma Chickadee scoping out the grounds, as she did many times a day. Thanks for the memories!

2 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

You guys took such good care of them! Hopefully they'll be back next year.

T said...

Oh, I know you both cared for them so well. They just moved on. I too hope you will see them back next year.